Selects the focusing area. Use this function when it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode. The setting applies to both still images and movies.
- MENU → (Camera Settings) → [Focus Area] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- Focuses automatically on a subject in all ranges of the image.
When you press the shutter button halfway down in still image shooting mode, a green frame is displayed around the area that is in focus.
- Focuses automatically on a subject in the center of the image. When used together with the AF lock function, you can compose the image you want.
- Flexible Spot:
- Allows you to move the focus range finder frame to the desired point on the screen and focus on an extremely small subject in a narrow area.
On the Flexible Spot shooting screen, you can change the size of the focus range finder frame by rotating the control wheel.
- Expand Flexible Spot:
- If the product fails to focus on the single selected point, it uses the focus points around the flexible spot as the second priority area to achieve focus.
- When the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down, the product tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area. Point the cursor to [Lock-on AF] on the [Focus Area] setting screen, then select the desired tracking start area using the left/right sides of the control wheel. You can move the tracking start area to a desired point by designating the area to be the flexible spot or expand flexible spot.
- On the Flexible Spot shooting screen, you can change the size of the AF range finder frame by rotating the control wheel.
- When [Focus Area] is set to [Flexible Spot] or [Expand Flexible Spot], pressing the key to which [Focus Standard] has been assigned allows you to shoot still images while adjusting the position of the focus range finder frame by pressing the top/bottom/left/right side of the control wheel. When you want to change the shooting settings using the control wheel, press the in the center of the control wheel.
- When shooting in [Single-shot AF], if you cannot focus on the subject by setting the [Focus Area] to [Wide], change the setting to [Center] and position the subject within the AF range finder frame. Press the shutter button halfway down to lock the focus, and return to the original composition to shoot images with the focus locked (Focus Lock).
- When the mode dial is set to (Movie) or when shooting movies, you cannot select [Lock-on AF] for [Focus Area].
- When the mode dial is set to (Movie) and [Auto Dual Rec] is set to On, the [Focus Area] is automatically switched to [Wide].
- You can select [Lock-on AF] only when the focus mode is set to [Continuous AF].
- A dotted square may appear around the whole screen in the clear image zoom, digital zoom, or smart zoom range in order to focus using the entire frame.
- Functions assigned to the top/bottom/left/right side of the control wheel or C (Custom) button cannot be executed while the focus range finder frame is being moved.
- The position of the focus range finder frame cannot be changed during movie shooting.