Backing up memory cards
Data may be corrupted in the following cases. Be sure to back up the data for protection.
- When the memory card is removed, the USB cable is disconnected, or the product is turned off in the middle of a read or write operation.
- When the memory card is used in locations subject to static electricity or electrical noise.
Creating an image database file
If you insert a memory card that does not contain an image database file into the product and turn on the power, the product automatically creates an image database file using some of the memory card’s capacity. The process may take a long time and you cannot operate the product until the process is completed.
If a database file error occurs, export all images to your computer using PlayMemories Home, and then format the memory card using this product.
Do not use/store the product in the following places
- In an extremely hot, cold or humid place
In places such as in a car parked in the sun, the camera body may become deformed and this may cause a malfunction.
- Storing under direct sunlight or near a heater
The camera body may become discolored or deformed, and this may cause a malfunction.
- In a location subject to rocking vibration
- Near strong magnetic place
Do not sit down in a chair or other place with the product in the back pocket of your trousers or skirt, as this may cause a malfunction or damage the product.
Precaution on carrying
Do not carry the camera with the tripod attached. This may cause the tripod socket hole to break.
On operating temperatures
Your product is designed for use under the temperatures between 0°C and 40 °C (32 °F and 104 °F). Shooting in extremely cold or hot places that exceed this range is not recommended.
Notes on recording for long periods of time
- Depending on the camera and battery temperature, you may be unable to record movies or the power may turn off automatically to protect the camera. A message will be displayed on the screen before the power turns off or you can no longer record movies. In this case, leave the power off and wait until the camera and battery temperature goes down. If you turn on the power without letting the camera and battery cool enough, the power may turn off again or you may be unable to record movies.
- Under high ambient temperatures, the temperature of the camera rises quickly.
- When the temperature of the camera rises, the image quality may deteriorate. It is recommended that you wait until the temperature of the camera drops before continuing to shoot.
- The surface of the camera may get warm. This is not a malfunction.
- If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering. Pay special attention in the following situations and use a tripod, etc.
- When using the camera in a high-temperature environment
- When someone with poor circulation or impaired skin sensation uses the camera
- When using the camera with the [Auto Pwr OFF Temp.] set to [High]
On moisture condensation
- If the product is brought directly from a cold to a warm location, moisture may condense inside or outside the product. This moisture condensation may cause a malfunction of the product.
- To prevent moisture condensation when you bring the product directly from a cold to a warm location, first put it in a plastic bag and seal it to prevent air from entering. Wait for about an hour until the temperature of the product has reached the ambient temperature.
- If moisture condensation occurs, turn off the product and wait about an hour for the moisture to evaporate. Note that if you attempt to shoot with moisture remaining inside the lens, you will be unable to record clear images.
On the functions available with the product
- This camera is compatible with 1080 60p or 1080 50p-format movies. Unlike traditional standard recording modes, which record using an interlacing method, this product records movies using a progressive method. This increases the resolution, and provides a smoother, more realistic image.
Notes for when on board an airplane
- In an airplane, set [Airplane Mode] to [On].
On image data compatibility
This product conforms with DCF (Design rule for Camera File system) universal standard established by JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association).
- Playback of images recorded with your product on other equipment and playback of images recorded or edited with other equipment on your product are not guaranteed.
Notes on playing movies on other devices
- Movies recorded by your camera may not be playable properly on other devices. Also, movies recorded by devices other than your camera may not be able to playback on your camera.
- Discs of AVCHD movies recorded by your camera can only be played back on devices supporting AVCHD format.
DVD players and DVD recorders do not support AVCHD format, so they cannot playback AVCHD movie discs. Also, if a high definition image quality (HD) disc recorded with AVCHD format is inserted in either of DVD players or DVD recorders, the disc may be unable to eject from the device.
- Movies recorded in 1080 60p/1080 50p format can be played back only on 1080 60p/1080 50p supported devices.
- XAVC S movies can be played back only on XAVC S-supported devices.
On the monitor and lens
- The monitor is manufactured using extremely high-precision technology so over 99.99 % of the pixels are operational for effective use. However, there may be some tiny black points and/or bright points (white, red, blue or green in color) that constantly appear on the monitor. These points are normal in the manufacturing process and do not affect the images in any way.
- Exposing the monitor or lens to direct sunlight for long periods may cause a malfunction. Exercise caution when placing the product near a window or outdoors.
- Do not directly expose the lens to beams such as laser beams. That may damage the image sensor and cause the camera to malfunction.
- Do not press against the monitor. The monitor may be discolored and that may cause a malfunction.
- Images may trail across on the monitor in a cold location. This is not a malfunction.
- Do not expose the camera to sunlight or shoot sunward for a long time. The internal mechanism may be damaged.
- Do not use the camera in areas where strong radio waves or radiation is being emitted. Recording and playback may not function correctly.
Notes on discarding or transferring this product to othersWhen discarding or transferring this product to others, make sure to perform the following operation to protect private information.
- Perform [Setting Reset] to reset all the settings.