Backing up memory cards
Data may be corrupted in the following cases. Be sure to back up the data for protection.
- When the memory card is removed or the product is turned off during a read or write operation.
- When the memory card is used in locations subject to static electricity or electrical noise.
Creating an image database file
If you insert a memory card that does not contain an image database file into the product and turn on the power, the product automatically creates an image database file using some of the memory card’s capacity. The process may take a long time and you cannot operate the product until the process is completed.
If a database file error occurs, export all images to your computer using PlayMemories Home, and then format the memory card using this product.
Do not use/store the product in the following places
- In an extremely hot, cold or humid place
In places such as in a car parked in the sun, the camera body may become deformed and this may cause a malfunction.
- Storing under direct sunlight or near a heater
The camera body may become discolored or deformed, and this may cause a malfunction.
- In a location subject to rocking vibration
- Near strong magnetic place
- In sandy or dusty places
Be careful not to let sand or dust get into the product. This may cause the product to malfunction, and in some cases this malfunction cannot be repaired.
On operating temperatures
Your product is designed for use under the temperatures between 0°C and 40 °C (32 °F and 104 °F). Shooting in extremely cold or hot places that exceed this range is not recommended.
On moisture condensation
- If the product is brought directly from a cold to a warm location, moisture may condense inside or outside the product. This moisture condensation may cause a malfunction of the product.
- To prevent moisture condensation when you bring the product directly from a cold to a warm location, first put it in a plastic bag and seal it to prevent air from entering. Wait for about an hour until the temperature of the product has reached the ambient temperature.
- If moisture condensation occurs, turn off the product and wait about an hour for the moisture to evaporate. Note that if you attempt to shoot with moisture remaining inside the lens, you will be unable to record clear images.
On the functions available with the product
This manual describes the functions of 1080 60i-compatible devices and 1080 50i-compatible devices. To check whether this product is a 1080 60i-compatible device or 1080 50i-compatible device, look for the following marks on the bottom of the product.
- 1080 60i-compatible device: 60i
- 1080 50i-compatible device: 50i
Notes for when on board an airplane
- In an airplane, set [Airplane Mode] to [On].
On image data compatibility
This product conforms with DCF (Design rule for Camera File system) universal standard established by JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association).
- Playback of images recorded with your product on other equipment and playback of images recorded or edited with other equipment on your product are not guaranteed.
Notes on playing movies on other devices
- This product uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 High Profile for AVCHD format recording. For this reason, movies recorded in AVCHD format with this product cannot be played by the following devices.
- Other devices compatible with AVCHD format that does not support High Profile
- Devices incompatible with the AVCHD format
This product also uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Main Profile for MP4 format recording. For this reason, play back movies recorded in MP4 format with this product on MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 supported devices.
- Discs recorded with HD (high definition) image quality can be played back only on AVCHD format-compatible devices.
DVD-based players or recorders cannot play back HD image quality discs, as they are incompatible with the AVCHD format. Also, DVD-based players or recorders may fail to eject HD image quality discs that are recorded using the AVCHD format.
On the monitor and lens
- The monitor is manufactured using extremely high-precision technology so over 99.99 % of the pixels are operational for effective use. However, there may be some tiny black points and/or bright points (white, red, blue or green in color) that constantly appear on the monitor. These points are normal in the manufacturing process and do not affect the images in any way.
- Exposing the monitor or lens to direct sunlight for long periods may cause a malfunction. Exercise caution when placing the product near a window or outdoors.
- Do not press against the monitor. The monitor may be discolored and that may cause a malfunction.
- Images may trail across on the monitor in a cold location. This is not a malfunction.
- If the monitor has drops of water or other liquids on it, wipe it with a soft cloth. If the monitor stays wet, the surface of the monitor may change or deteriorate. This may cause a malfunction.
- In addition, the monitor may be darker than usual at first.
- Make sure not to bump the lens or subject it to force.
- Do not operate the touch panel using a pointed object. This may cause a malfunction.
Notes on the flash
- Do not cover the flash with your fingers.
- Do not carry the product by the flash unit, or use excessive strength on it.
- If water, dust or sand get into the open flash unit, it may cause a malfunction.
Notes on discarding or transferring this product to othersWhen discarding or transferring this product to others, make sure to perform the following operation to protect private information.
- Perform [Setting Reset] to reset all the settings.