AF Range Control
You can restrict the autofocus range to focus on a subject without interference from objects in the background and foreground. The [AF Range Control] function is assigned to the C1 button (Custom button 1) with the default settings.
- Press the C1 button (Custom button 1) (A).
- Set maximum shooting distance using the front dial and set the minimum shooting distance using the rear dial.
- Focus areas of the subject that are within the set AF range area will be displayed in yellow.
- Press the C1 button (Custom button 1) again and decide the shooting distance.
- The restricted area will remain displayed.
- Focus areas of the subject that are within the set distance will be displayed in yellow.
To end the AF range control function
Press the C1 button (Custom button 1) again.
- After focusing on the subject you want to shoot, adjust the AF range setting so that the lens focus position falls within the range.
- Set the AF range to fall inside or outside while watching the yellow indicator displayed in the focus area.
- [AF Range Control] cannot be used in Manual focus mode or when shooting movies.
- If you change the lens, the set AF range will be reset.
- When you are using a lens equipped with a focus range limit function, do not use the camera’s [AF Range Control] function at the same time. Use the function on either the lens or the camera.
- If you use a lens that is not equipped with a distance encoder, the shooting distance is not displayed.
- The shooting distance value is an estimate.
- The set value of the AF range, the shooting distance value, and the actual focus point may differ slightly.
- The actual set AF range and the yellow guide of the focus area may not correspond.
- The focus area may not be displayed in yellow when the lens does not attain proper focus.
- When the light is not strong enough or there is not much contrast in the subject, such as with monotone and flat surfaces, the focus area may not be displayed in yellow. In that case, use the outline of the subject as a guide.
- Only lenses with in-lens motors (SSM and SAM lenses*) can be used with Direct Manual Focus.
* The only SAM lens compatible with direct manual focus is SAL18135 (as of the day this camera was released).
- When using lenses without in-lens motors (other than SSM and SAM lenses*), the product may start the initial operation for infinity when used with the AF/MF control function.
* The only SAM lens compatible with AF/MF control is SAL18135 (as of the day this camera was released).