On use and care
- Before starting to record, test the recording function to make sure the image and sound are recorded without any problems.
- Compensation for the contents of recordings cannot be provided, even if recording or playback is not possible due to a malfunction of this product, recording media, etc.
- TV color systems differ depending on the country/region. To view your recordings on a TV, you need a TV that supports the signal format for this product.
- Television programs, films, video tapes, and other materials may be copyrighted. Unauthorized recording of such materials may be contrary to the copyright laws.
- The LCD monitor is manufactured using extremely high-precision technology, so over 99.99% of the pixels are operational for effective use. However, there may be some tiny black points and/or bright points (white, red, blue, or green in color) that appear constantly on the LCD monitor. These points
are normal results of the manufacturing process and do not affect the shooting in any way.
A: White, red, blue or green points
B: Black points
About this Help Guide, illustrations and on-screen displays
- The example images used in this Help Guide for illustration purposes are captured using a digital still camera, and therefore may appear different from images and screen indicators that actually appear on this product. And, the illustrations of this product and its screen indication are exaggerated or simplified for understandability.
- Design and specifications of this product and accessories are subject to change without notice.
- In this Help Guide, DVD discs recorded with high definition image quality (HD) are called AVCHD disc.
- In this Help Guide, the internal memory (models with the internal memory) and memory card are called “recording media.”
On use and storage place
- This product is not dustproofed, dripproofed or waterproofed.
- Do not hold this product by the following parts, and also do not hold this product by the jack covers.
A: LCD monitor
B: Built-in USB Cable
C: Battery cover
- Do not aim this product at the sun. Doing so might cause this product to malfunction. Take images of the sun only in low light conditions, such as at dusk.
- Do not use or store this product and accessories in the following locations:
- Anywhere extremely hot, cold or humid. Never leave them exposed to temperatures above 60 ˚C (140 °F), such as under direct sunlight, near heaters or in a car parked in the sun. They may malfunction or become deformed.
- Near strong magnetic fields or mechanical vibration. This product may malfunction.
- Near strong radio waves or radiation. This product may not be able to record properly.
- Near tuner devices such as TVs or radio. Noise may occur.
- On a sandy beach or anywhere dusty. If sand or dust gets in this product, it may malfunction. Sometimes this malfunction cannot be repaired.
- Near windows or outdoors, where the LCD monitor, or the lens may be exposed to direct sunlight. This damages the LCD monitor.
- For DC or AC operation, use the accessories recommended in these operating instructions.
- Do not let your product get wet, for example, from rain or sea water. If your product gets wet, it may malfunction. Sometimes this malfunction cannot be repaired.
- If any solid object or liquid gets inside the casing, unplug your product and have it checked by a Sony dealer before operating it any further.
- Avoid rough handling, disassembling, modifying, physical shock, or impact such as hammering, dropping or stepping on the product. Be particularly careful with the lens.
- Keep the LCD monitor closed when you are not using your product.
- Do not operate your product with it wrapped in an object such as a towel.
- When disconnecting the cable, pull it by the plug and not the cord.
- Do not damage the cable such as by placing anything heavy on it.
- Do not use a deformed or damaged battery pack.
- Keep metal contacts clean.
- If the battery electrolytic liquid has leaked:
- Consult your local authorized Sony service facility.
- Wash off any liquid that may have contacted your skin.
- If any liquid gets in your eyes, wash with plenty of water and consult a doctor.
When not using this product for a long time
- To keep this product in optimum state for a long time, turn it on and let it run by recording and playing back images about once a month.
- Use up the battery pack completely before storing it.
Note on this product/battery pack temperature
- When the temperature of this product or battery pack becomes extremely high or extremely low, you may not be able to record or play back on this product, due to the protection features of this product being activated in such situations. In this case, an indicator appears on the LCD monitor.
Notes on charging through the Built-in USB Cable
- Charging may not be possible with all computers.
- If you connect this product to a laptop computer that is not connected to a power source, the battery of the laptop computer will continue to use up its charge. Do not leave this product connected to a computer in this manner.
- Charging with a personally assembled computer, with a converted computer, or through a USB hub are not guaranteed. This product may not function correctly depending on the USB device which is used with the computer.
- When charging, cancel the sleep mode of the computer.
- Do not apply excessive pressure on the LCD monitor, as it may cause uneven color and other damage.
- If this product is used in a cold place, a residual image may appear on the LCD monitor. This is not a malfunction.
- While using this product, the back of the LCD monitor may heat up. This is not a malfunction.
- This product is equipped with a ZEISS lens, which was developed jointly by ZEISS, in Germany, and Sony Corporation, and produces superior images. It adopts the MTF(*) measurement system for video cameras and offers a quality typical of a ZEISS lens.
*MTF= Modulation Transfer Function. The number value indicates the amount of light from a subject coming into the lens.
On the pre-installed rechargeable battery
- This product has a pre-installed rechargeable battery to retain the date, time, and other settings even when the LCD monitor is closed. The pre-installed rechargeable battery is always charged while this product is connected to a wall outlet (wall socket) via the AC Adaptor or while the battery pack is inserted. The rechargeable battery will be fully discharged in about 2 months if you do not use this product at all. Charge the pre-installed rechargeable battery before you start using this product. However, even if the pre-installed rechargeable battery is not charged, this product operation other than date recording will not be affected.
- How to charge the pre-installed rechargeable battery
- Connect this product to a wall outlet (wall socket) using the supplied AC Adaptor, and leave it with the LCD monitor closed for more than 24 hours.