Shutter Type (still image)
You can set whether to shoot with a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter.
- MENU→ (Custom Settings)→[Shutter Type]→desired setting.
Menu item details
- The shutter type is automatically switched based on the shooting conditions and shutter speed.
- Mechanical Shut.:
- Shoot with the mechanical shutter only.
- Electronic Shut.:
- Shoot with the electronic shutter only.
The availability of flash shooting, shutter speed, and with or without shutter sound for each setting is as below.
- Shutter speed: BULB to 1/2000 second *2
- Shutter sound: mechanical shutter sound and electronic shutter sound *3
- Flash: *1
- Shutter speed: 30 seconds to 1/32000 second *2
- Shutter sound: electronic shutter sound *3
*1 When shooting with the flash, the shutter speed is limited to 1/100 second or slower.
*2 The settable shutter speed range varies by shooting mode.
*3 To turn off the electronic sound, set [Audio signals] to [Off].
- In the following situations, set the [Shutter Type] to [Auto] or [Electronic Shut.].
- When shooting with a high-speed shutter in a bright environment such as outside in bright sunlight, the beach, or snowy mountains.
- When you want to increase the speed of continuous shooting.
- In the following situations, set the [Shutter Type] to [Auto] or [Mechanical Shut.].
- When you want to use the flash with a shutter speed faster than 1/100 second.
- When you are concerned about distortion in the image due to the movement of the subject or the movement of the camera.
- When [Shutter Type] is set to [Mechanical Shut.], you cannot select [Continuous Shooting: Hi] for [Drive Mode].
- When shooting with the electronic shutter, there may be distortion in the image due to the movement of the subject or the camera itself.
- During shooting with the electronic shutter, band-like light-and-dark shading may appear when shooting under flickering light such as fluorescent light or instantaneous light (such as the flash of another camera).
- In rare cases, the shutter sound may be produced when the power is turned off even if the [Shutter Type] is set to [Electronic Shut.]. However, this is not a malfunction.
- In the following situations, the mechanical shutter will be activated even if the [Shutter Type] is set to [Electronic Shut.].
- [White Balance] is set to [Custom Setup]
- [Face Registration]
- The following functions are unavailable when the [Shutter Type] is set to [Electronic Shut.].
- Long Exposure NR
- Bulb shooting
- The [Shutter Type] setting may be cancelled when shooting with a function downloaded from PlayMemories Camera Apps.