Selects the focusing area. Use this function when it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode. The setting applies to both still images and movies.
- MENU → (Camera Settings) → [Focus Area] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- Focuses automatically on a subject in all ranges of the image.
When you press the shutter button halfway down in still image shooting mode, a green frame is displayed around the area that is in focus.
- Select a zone on the monitor on which to focus. A zone consists of nine focus areas, and the product automatically selects a focus area on which to focus.
- Focuses automatically on a subject in the center of the image. When used together with the AF lock function, you can compose the image you want.
- Flexible Spot:
- Allows you to move the focus range finder frame to the desired point on the screen and focus on an extremely small subject in a narrow area.
- Expand Flexible Spot:
- If the product fails to focus on the single selected point, it uses the focus points around the flexible spot as the second priority area to achieve focus.
- When the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down, the product tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area. Point the cursor to [Lock-on AF] on the [Focus Area] setting screen, then select the desired tracking start area using the left/right sides of the control wheel. You can move the tracking start area to a desired point by designating the area to be the flexible spot or expand flexible spot.
- When [Focus Area] is set to [Zone], [Flexible Spot], or [Expand Flexible Spot], pressing the key to which [Focus Standard] has been assigned allows you to shoot still images while adjusting the position of the focus range finder frame by pressing the top/bottom/left/right side of the control wheel. When you want to change the shooting settings using the control wheel, press the in the center of the control wheel.
- When [Focus Mode] is [Continuous AF] and [Focus Area] is [Wide] or [Zone], the focus range finder frame may change after the focus is achieved.
- When the mode dial is set to (Movie/HFR) or when shooting movies, you cannot select [Lock-on AF] for [Focus Area].
- When [Focus Area] is set to [Wide] or [Zone], the size of the AF range finder frame may be automatically adjusted according to the subject and the composition as follows:
- When focusing on a wider area such as a landscape: A larger AF range finder frame is displayed.
- When focusing on a smaller area such as flowers or small items: A smaller AF range finder frame is displayed.
- You can select [Lock-on AF] only when the focus mode is set to [Continuous AF].
- A dotted square may appear around the whole screen in the clear image zoom, digital zoom, or smart zoom range in order to focus using the entire frame.
- Functions assigned to the top/bottom/left/right side of the control wheel or [Custom Button 2] cannot be executed while the focus range finder frame is being moved.
- The position of the focus range finder frame cannot be changed during movie shooting.