Selects the focusing area. Use this function when it is difficult to focus properly in the auto focus mode.
- MENU → (Camera Settings1) → [Focus Area] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- Wide :
- Focuses on a subject covering the whole range of the screen automatically. When you press the shutter button halfway down in the still image shooting mode, a green frame is displayed around the area that is in focus.
- Zone :
- Select a zone on the monitor on which to focus, and the product will automatically select a focus area.
- Center :
- Focuses automatically on a subject in the center of the image. Use together with the focus-lock function to create the composition you want.
- Flexible Spot :
- Allows you to move the focusing frame to a desired point on the screen and focus on an extremely small subject in a narrow area.
- Expand Flexible Spot :
- If the product cannot focus on a single selected point, it uses focus points around the flexible spot as a secondary priority area for focusing.
- When the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down, the product tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area. This setting is available only when the focus mode is set to [Continuous AF]. Point the cursor at [Lock-on AF] on the [Focus Area] setting screen, and then adjust the desired area to start tracking by pressing the multi-selector left/right. You can also move the tracking start area to the desired point by designating the area as a flexible spot or expand flexible spot.
Available focus areas
When the Hybrid Phase Detection AF system is active, the entire focus area including the focal plane phase detection AF area is available (A). When the Hybrid Phase Detection AF system is not active, dedicated phase detection AF area is available (B).
The shaded area is the available focusing area.
- When [Zone] is selected, the focus area is divided into 15 zones in (A), or 9 zones in (B).
To move the focus area
- You can move the focus area in [Flexible Spot], [Expand Flexible Spot] or [Zone] by operating the multi-selector.
- [Focus Area] is locked to [Wide] in the following situations:
- [Intelligent Auto]
- Lock-on AF
- [Eye AF]
- The focus area may not light up during continuous shooting or when the shutter button is pressed all the way down at once.
- When the mode dial is set to (Movie/S&Q Motion) or during movie shooting, [Lock-on AF] cannot be selected as the [Focus Area].
- When using the following zoom functions, a dotted square frame may appear around the whole screen depending on the zoom scale. The camera will perform auto focusing using the entire screen.
- Smart Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom
- Digital Zoom