Restarting, resetting, and repairing your device
You can force your device to restart or shut down if it stops responding or will not restart normally. No settings or personal data get deleted.
You can also reset your device to its original factory settings. This procedure is sometimes necessary if your device stops functioning properly, but note that you should first back up your data, as resetting your device will erase all your data from your device.
If your device fails to turn on or you want to reset your device’s software, you can use Xperia Companion to repair your device. For more information on downloading and using Xperia Companion, search for Xperia Companion on the Sony customer support website.
Restarting your device
- Your device may fail to restart if the battery level is low. Connect your device to a charger and try restarting again.
- Long press the power key.
- In the menu that opens, tap [Restart].
The device restarts automatically.
Forcing the device to restart or shut down
- Long press the power key and the volume up key at the same time until your device vibrates.
- Depending on whether you wish
to force the device to restart or shut down, proceed as follows.
- If you wish to force restart the device: Release the keys at this point. The device restarts.
- If you wish to force shut down the device: Continue pressing the keys. After a few more seconds, the device vibrates three times and turns off.
Performing a factory data reset
- To avoid permanent damage to your device, do not interrupt a factory data reset procedure.
- Back up any data saved to the internal memory of your device. Resetting will erase all your data from your device.
- Find and tap [Settings] > [System] > [Advanced] > [Reset options].
- Tap [Erase all data (factory reset)] > [Reset phone].
- If required, draw your screen unlock pattern or enter your screen unlock password or PIN to continue.
- To confirm, tap [Erase everything].
- Your device does not revert to an earlier software version of Android when you perform a factory data reset.