Pairing and connecting with BLUETOOTH® devices
When pairing with two or more BLUETOOTH devices, perform the following pairing procedure for each device.
Before operating the speaker, be sure to do the following:
- Place the BLUETOOTH device within 1 m (3 ft) of the speaker.
- Connect the speaker to an AC outlet via a USB AC adaptor (commercially available), or connect it to a booted computer. Or, charge the built-in battery sufficiently.
- Stop playback on a BLUETOOTH device.
- Turn down the volume of the BLUETOOTH device and speaker to avoid any sudden loud sound output from the speaker. Depending on the BLUETOOTH device, the volume of the device may be synchronized with the speaker.
- Prepare the operating instructions supplied with the BLUETOOTH device for reference.
Turn on the speaker.
The (power) indicator lights up in white*1.
The (BLUETOOTH) indicator begins to flash in blue.
*1 Depending on the Sound Mode, the color of the (power) indicator varies. For details, refer to the following topic.
About the indicators
- When you turn on the speaker for the first time after purchase, the (BLUETOOTH) indicator will begin to flash quickly and the speaker enters pairing mode automatically by just pressing the (power) button/ PAIRING button. Proceed to step .
- When you turn on the speaker, the speaker tries to make a BLUETOOTH connection with the last connected BLUETOOTH device. If the device is nearby and its BLUETOOTH function is on, the BLUETOOTH connection is established automatically and the (BLUETOOTH) indicator stays lit. In this case, turn off the BLUETOOTH function or turn off the power of the currently connected BLUETOOTH device.
Press and hold the (power) button/ PAIRING button until you hear the voice guidance and the (BLUETOOTH) indicator begins to flash quickly.
The speaker enters pairing mode.
- Perform the pairing procedure on the BLUETOOTH device to detect the speaker.
When a list of detected devices appears on the display of the BLUETOOTH device, select “SRS-XB31.”
If a passkey*2 is required on the display of the BLUETOOTH device, enter “0000.”
*2 The passkey may also be called a “passcode,” “PIN code,” “PIN number” or “password.”
- Make the BLUETOOTH connection from the BLUETOOTH device.
When the BLUETOOTH connection is established, the (BLUETOOTH) indicator switches from flashing to a steady state.
If the BLUETOOTH connection is not established, repeat from step .
- Once the BLUETOOTH function is activated on the BLUETOOTH device which has been connected to the speaker via a BLUETOOTH connection, the BLUETOOTH device is connected to the speaker again by just pressing the (power) button/ PAIRING button.
- For details on operating a BLUETOOTH device, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the BLUETOOTH device.
- The pairing mode of the speaker is released after about 5 minutes and the (BLUETOOTH) indicator flashes slowly. However, when pairing information is not stored in the speaker, such as at the factory settings, the pairing mode is not released. If the pairing mode is released before finishing the process, repeat from step .
- The passkey of this speaker is “0000.” If a passkey besides “0000” is set on the BLUETOOTH device, pairing cannot be done with the speaker.
- Once the BLUETOOTH devices are paired, there is no need to pair them again, except in the following cases:
- Pairing information has been deleted after repair, etc.
- The speaker is already paired with 8 devices and another device is to be paired.
The speaker can be paired with up to 8 devices. If a new device is paired after 8 devices have already been paired, the device that was paired earliest is replaced by the new one.
- The pairing information of the speaker has been deleted from the BLUETOOTH device.
- The speaker is initialized.
All pairing information will be deleted. If you initialize the speaker, it may not be able to connect your iPhone/iPod touch or computer. In this case, erase the pairing information of the speaker on your iPhone/iPod touch or computer, and then perform the pairing procedure again.
- The speaker can be paired with multiple devices, but can only play music from one paired device at a time.
- When an audio cable is connected to the speaker’s AUDIO IN jack while the speaker and the BLUETOOTH device have been connected via BLUETOOTH connection, sound from the BLUETOOTH-connected device is not output from the speaker (the hands-free function is available). To listen to music from the BLUETOOTH device, disconnect the audio cable from the speaker’s AUDIO IN jack.