Detects the faces of your subjects and adjusts the focus, exposure, flash settings and performs image processing automatically.
- MENU → (Camera Settings1) → [Smile/Face Detect.] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- Does not use the [Face Detection] function.
- On (Regist. Faces):
- Detects the registered face with higher priority using [Face Registration].
- Detects a face without giving higher priority to the registered face.
- Smile Shutter:
- Automatically detects and shoots a smile.
Face Detection frame
- When the product detects a face, the gray face detection frame appears. When the product determines that autofocus is enabled, the face detection frame turns white. When you press the shutter button halfway down, the frame turns green.
- In case you have registered the priority order for each face using [Face Registration], the product automatically selects the first prioritized face and the face detection frame over that face turns white. The face detection frames of other registered faces turn reddish-purple.
Tips for capturing smiles more effectively
- Do not cover the eyes with front hair and keep the eyes narrowed.
- Do not obscure the face by a hat, masks, sunglasses, etc.
- Try to orient the face in front of the product and be as level as possible.
- Give a clear smile with an open mouth. The smile is easier to be detected when the teeth are shown.
- If you press the shutter button during Smile Shutter, the product shoots the image. After shooting, the product returns to Smile Shutter mode.
- When the [Smile/Face Detect.] is set to [Smile Shutter], you can select the Smile Detection Sensitivity from [On: Slight Smile], [On: Normal Smile] and [On: Big Smile].
- You cannot use the Face Detection function with the following functions:
- Other zoom functions than the optical zoom
- [Sweep Panorama]
- [Picture Effect] is set to [Posterization].
- When using the [Focus Magnifier] function.
- [Scene Selection] is set to [Landscape], [Night Scene], [Sunset].
- [Record Setting] is set to [120p]/[100p].
- Up to 8 faces of your subjects can be detected.
- The product may not detect faces at all or may accidentally detect other objects as faces in some conditions.
- If the product cannot detect a face, set the Smile Detection Sensitivity.
- If you track a face using [Lock-on AF] while executing Smile Shutter function, Smile Detection is performed only for that face.