When the contrast between the subject and background is high, such as when shooting a backlit subject or a subject near a window, meter the light at a spot where the subject appears to have the appropriate brightness and lock the exposure before shooting. To reduce the brightness of the subject, meter the light at a spot brighter than the subject and lock the exposure of the entire screen. To make the subject brighter, meter the light at a spot darker than the subject and lock the exposure of the entire screen.
- Adjust the focus on the spot at which the exposure is adjusted.
- Press the AEL button.
- Keep pressing the AEL button and focus on the subject again, then shoot the picture.
- Keep holding the AEL button down while taking a shot if you want to continue shooting with the fixed exposure. Release the button to reset the exposure.
- If you select the MENU → (Camera Settings2) → [Custom Key(Shoot.)] → [AEL Button] → [AEL toggle], you can lock the exposure without holding down the button.
- [ AEL hold] and [AEL toggle] are not available when using zoom functions other than optical zoom.