Turning on the power to the flash unit (HVL-F46RM)
- Turn the power switch to ON.
When the flash unit is powered, on-screen indicators are displayed on the LCD panel.
To turn off the power to the flash unit
Turn the power switch to OFF.
When you turn on the power to this flash unit, the flash unit starts charging up itself.
When the flash unit is fully charged up, the TEST button on the back of the flash unit lights in orange.
If the flash unit is left unused for 3 minutes or longer while it is used alone or connected to the camera in a power-saving state, the LCD panel will automatically turn off to conserve the battery power.
During wireless flash photography with the flash unit used as an off-camera flash unit, the flash unit goes into power-saving mode in 60 minutes.
Turning off the power switch on the connected camera (except for DSLR-A100) automatically places the flash unit in power-saving mode.
You can press the MENU button and select [POWER SAVE] to specify the power-saving timer or select [WL POWER SAVE] to specify the power-saving timer for wireless flash photography.
Checking the remaining battery power
When the batteries are running out of power, the low-battery indicator is displayed on the LCD panel as a warning.
The batteries are running out of power. It is recommended that you replace the batteries. The flash unit, however, is still capable of firing in this state.
When nothing butis on the LCD panel:
The flash unit is not capable of firing. Replace the batteries.
When the batteries are running out of power, not only does a warning for the battery power appear on the LCD panel, but the TEST button on the back of this flash unit flashes in orange.
When flashing slowly
The batteries are running out of power. It is recommended that you replace the batteries.
The flash unit, however, is still capable of firing flashes in this state.
When flashing quickly
The flash unit is not capable of firing flashes. Replace the batteries.
Notes on continuous flashes
If you use the flash unit continuously for a short period of time, its built-in safety circuit will be triggered to limit flash firing and the flash interval may be forced to extend.
In addition, if the temperature inside the flash unit rises further, (overheat indicator) will light on the LCD panel to indicate that flash firing is disabled for a while. In such a case, turn off the power switch on the flash unit and leave the flash unit unused for about 10 minutes to let it cool down.
Continuous flashes heat up the batteries inside the flash unit. Take extra care when you remove the batteries.