Selecting the focus method (Focus Mode)
Selects the focus method to suit the movement of the subject.
MENU → (Focus) → [AF/MF] → [Focus Mode] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- Single-shot AF:
- The product locks the focus once focusing is complete. Use this when the subject is motionless.
- Automatic AF:
- [Single-shot AF] and [Continuous AF] are switched according to the movement of the subject. When the shutter button is pressed halfway down, the product locks the focus when it determines that the subject is motionless, or continues to focus when the subject is in motion. During continuous shooting, the product automatically shoots with [Continuous AF] from the second shot.
- Continuous AF:
- The product continues to focus while the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down. Use this when the subject is in motion. In [Continuous AF] mode, there is no beep when the camera focuses.
- You can make fine adjustments manually after performing auto focusing, letting you focus on a subject more quickly than when using [Manual Focus] from the beginning. This is convenient in situations such as macro shooting.
- Manual Focus:
- Adjusts the focus manually. If you cannot focus on the intended subject using auto focus, use [Manual Focus].
The subject is in focus and the focus is locked.
The subject is not in focus.
The subject is in focus. The focus will be adjusted continuously according to the movements of the subject.
Focusing is in progress.
Subjects on which it is difficult to focus using auto focus
- Dark and distant subjects
- Subjects with poor contrast
- Subjects seen through glass
- Fast-moving subjects
- Reflective light or shiny surfaces
- Flashing light
- Back-lit subjects
- Continuously repetitive patterns, such as the facades of buildings
- Subjects in the focusing area with different focal distances
- In [Continuous AF] mode, you can lock the focus by pressing and holding the button that has been assigned the [Focus Hold] function.
- When you set the focus to infinity in [Manual Focus] mode or [DMF] mode, make sure that the focus is on a sufficiently distant subject by checking the monitor or the viewfinder.
- [Automatic AF] is available only when you are using a lens that supports phase detection AF.
- When [Continuous AF] or [Automatic AF] is set, the angle of view may change little by little while focusing. This does not affect the actual recorded images.
- Only [Continuous AF] and [Manual Focus] are available when shooting movies or when the mode dial is set to (S&Q Motion).