AF w/ shutter (still image)
Selects whether to focus automatically when you press the shutter button halfway down. Select [Off] to adjust the focus and the exposure separately.
- MENU → (Camera Settings1) → [AF w/ shutter] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- The auto focus operates when you press the shutter button halfway down.
- The auto focus does not operate even if you press the shutter button halfway down.
Useful method to micro-adjust the focus
Activating the auto focus function with a button other than the shutter button makes possible more accurate focusing in combination with manual focusing.
- Attach an SSM lens or SAL18135 lens to the camera, and then set the focus mode switch on the lens to "AF."
- Set [AF w/ shutter] to [Off].
- MENU → (Camera Settings2) → [Custom Key(Shoot.)] → assign the [AF On] and [Focus Magnifier] functions to the desired keys.
- Set [Eye-Start AF] to [Off] to avoid auto focusing when you look through the viewfinder.
- Press the key to which the [AF On] function is assigned.
- Press the key to which the [Focus Magnifier] function is assigned, and then rotate the focus ring for micro-adjustments of the focus.
- Press the shutter button fully down to shoot the image.
- SAM lenses other than SAL18135 lens do not support the DMF (Direct Manual Focus) function (as of the day this camera was released).