Selectable AF Area
Although this product can focus using 399 focus points at maximum, you can also limit the available focus points manually.
- MENU → (Camera Settings1) → [Selectable AF Area] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- The number of focus points used for focusing are set automatically depending on the lens or shooting mode. Uses all 399 focus points at maximum.
- Only Cross-Type AF:
- Limits available 79 focus points at a maximum in the cross-type AF area.
The number of focus points depending on the lens
The number of focus points will be limited when the following lenses are attached.
- Lens: SAL75300, SAL1118, SAL55200, SAL1855, SAL18552, SAL55200-2, SAL30M28, SAL55300
- The number of focus points: 61 points
- Lens: SAL500F80
- The number of focus points: One single point at the center
[Only Cross-Type AF] cannot be set.
- This information is current as of the day the model was released. Some of the lenses above are not available in some countries or regions.
- We recommend that you set the camera to [Only Cross-Type AF] in the following situations:
- When you want to prevent the number of focus points from changing automatically depending on the lens you attach
- When focusing is difficult at the surrounding points
- When you want to select a focus area quickly by limiting the available focus points
- If you attach a lens that does not support Hybrid Phase Detection AF, or [AF System] is set to [Ddc Phase AF Only], a focus area that does not perform cross-type detection will also be used even when [Selectable AF Area] is set to [Only Cross-Type AF].
- When the shooting mode is set to (Movie/S&Q Motion), [AF System] is locked to [Ddc Phase AF Only]. The number of focus points is limited to 61.