Selects the metering mode that sets which part of the screen to measure for determining the exposure.
MENU → (Camera Settings1) → [Metering Mode] → desired setting.
Menu item details
- Measures light on each area after dividing the total area into multiple areas and determines the proper exposure of the entire screen (Multi-pattern metering).
- Measures the average brightness of the entire screen, while emphasizing the central area of the screen (Center-weighted metering).
- Measures only the central area (Spot metering). This mode is suitable for measuring light on a specified part of the entire screen. The size of the metering circle can be selected from [Spot: Standard] and [Spot: Large]. The position of the metering circle depends the setting for [Spot Metering Point].
- Entire Screen Avg.:
- Measures the average brightness of the entire screen. The exposure will be stable even if the composition or the position of the subject changes.
- Measures the brightness while emphasizing the highlighted area on the screen. This mode is suitable for shooting the subject while avoiding overexposure.
- When [Spot] is selected and [Focus Area] is set to either [Flexible Spot] or [Expand Flexible Spot] while [Spot Metering Point] is set to [Focus Point Link], the spot metering point can be coordinated with the focus area.
- When [Metering Mode] is set to [Highlight] and the [D-Range Opt.] or [Auto HDR] function is activated, the brightness and the contrast will be corrected automatically by dividing the image into small areas and analyzing the contrast of light and shadow. Make settings based on the shooting circumstances.
[Metering Mode] is locked to [Multi] in the following shooting modes:
- [Intelligent Auto]
- Other zoom functions than the optical zoom
- In [Highlight] mode, the subject may be dark if a brighter part exists on the screen.