Selecting the focus method (Focus Mode)
Selects the focus method to suit the movement of the subject.
Turn the focus mode dial while pressing the focus mode dial lock release button and select the desired mode.
- AF-S (Single-shot AF):
- The product locks the focus once focusing is complete. Use this when the subject is motionless.
- AF-C (Continuous AF):
- The product continues to focus while the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down. Use this when the subject is in motion. In [Continuous AF] mode, there is no beep when the camera focuses.
- DMF (direct manual focus):
- You can make fine adjustments manually after performing auto focusing, letting you focus on a subject more quickly than when using [Manual Focus] from the beginning. This is convenient in situations such as macro shooting.
- MF (Manual Focus):
- Adjusts the focus manually. If you cannot focus on the intended subject using auto focus, use [Manual Focus].
The subject is in focus and the focus is locked.
The subject is not in focus.
The subject is in focus. The focus will be adjusted continuously according to the movements of the subject.
Focusing is in progress.
Subjects on which it is difficult to focus using auto focus
- Dark and distant subjects
- Subjects with poor contrast
- Subjects seen through glass
- Fast-moving subjects
- Reflective light or shiny surfaces
- Flashing light
- Back-lit subjects
- Continuously repetitive patterns, such as the facades of buildings
- Subjects in the focusing area with different focal distances
- In [Continuous AF] mode, you can lock the focus by pressing and holding the button that has been assigned the [Focus Hold] function.
- When you set the focus to infinity in [Manual Focus] mode or [DMF] mode, make sure that the focus is on a sufficiently distant subject by checking the monitor or the viewfinder.
- When [Continuous AF] is set, the angle of view may change little by little while focusing. This does not affect the actual recorded images.
- Even if the focus mode dial is set to AF-S or DMF, the focus mode will switch to [Continuous AF] when shooting movies or when the mode dial is set to (S&Q Motion).