Refer also to “Notes on using your camera” in the Operating Instructions (supplied) for this product.
On the data specifications described in this manual
- The data on performance and specifications in this manual are based on an ordinary ambient temperature of 25ºC (77°F), except where otherwise indicated.
- For the battery pack, the data are based on a battery pack that was fully charged until the charge lamp turned off.
On operating temperatures
- Shooting in extremely cold or hot environments that exceed the operating temperature range is not recommended.
- Under high ambient temperatures, the temperature of the camera rises quickly.
- When the temperature of the camera rises, the image quality may deteriorate. It is recommended that you wait until the temperature of the camera drops before continuing to shoot.
- Depending on the camera and battery temperature, the camera may become unable to record movies or the power may turn off automatically to protect the camera. A message will be displayed on the screen before the power turns off or you can no longer record movies. In this case, leave the power off and wait until the camera and battery temperature goes down. If you turn on the power without letting the camera and battery cool sufficiently, the power may turn off again, or you may still be unable to record movies.
Notes on recording for long periods of time or recording 4K/8K movies
Especially during 4K/8K shooting, the recording time may be shorter under low temperature conditions. Warm up the battery pack or replace it with a new battery.
Notes on playing movies on other devices
XAVC HS and XAVC S movies can only be played back on compatible devices.
Notes on recording/playback
- Before you start recording, make a trial recording to make sure that the camera is working correctly.
- Playback of images recorded with your product on other equipment and playback of images recorded or edited with other equipment on your product are not guaranteed.
- Sony can provide no guarantees in the event of failure to record, or loss of or damage to recorded images or audio data, due to a malfunction of the camera or recording media, etc. We recommend backing up important data.
- Once you format the memory card, all the data recorded on the memory card will be deleted and cannot be restored. Before formatting, copy the data to a computer or other device.
Backing up memory cards
Data may be corrupted in the following cases. Be sure to back up the data for protection.
- When the memory card is removed, the USB cable is disconnected, or the product is turned off in the middle of a read or write operation.
- When the memory card is used in locations subject to static electricity or electrical noise.
Database file error
- If you insert a memory card that does not contain an image database file into the product and turn on the power, the product automatically creates an image database file using some of the memory card’s capacity. The process may take a long time and you cannot operate the product until the process is completed.
- If a database file error occurs, export all images to your computer, and then format the memory card using this product.
Do not use/store the product in the following places
- In an extremely hot, cold or humid place
In places such as in a car parked in the sun, the camera body may become deformed and this may cause a malfunction.
- Storing under direct sunlight or near a heater
The camera body may become discolored or deformed, and this may cause a malfunction.
- In a location subject to rocking vibration
It may cause malfunctions and an inability to record data. In addition, the recording media may become unusable, and recorded data may be corrupted.
- Near strong magnetic place
- In sandy or dusty places
Be careful not to let sand or dust get into the product. This may cause the product to malfunction, and in some cases this malfunction cannot be repaired.
- In places with high humidity
This may cause the lens to mold.
- In areas where strong radio waves or radiation are being emitted
Recording and playback may not function correctly.
On moisture condensation
- If the product is brought directly from a cold to a warm location, moisture may condense inside or outside the product. This moisture condensation may cause a malfunction of the product.
- To prevent moisture condensation when you bring the product directly from a cold to a warm location, first put it in a plastic bag and seal it to prevent air from entering. Wait for about an hour until the temperature of the product has reached the ambient temperature.
- If moisture condensation occurs, turn off the product and wait about an hour for the moisture to evaporate. Note that if you attempt to shoot with moisture remaining inside the lens, you will be unable to record clear images.
Precaution on carrying
- Do not hold, hit, or apply excessive force to the following parts, if your camera is equipped with them:
- The lens part
- The movable monitor part
- The movable flash part
- The movable viewfinder part
- Do not carry the camera with the tripod attached. This may cause the tripod socket hole to break.
- Do not sit down in a chair or other place with the camera in the back pocket of your trousers or skirt, as this may cause malfunction or damage the camera.
Notes on handling the product
- Before you connect the cable to the terminal, be sure to check the orientation of the terminal. Then, insert the cable straight. Do not insert or remove the cable forcefully. This may cause the terminal part to break.
- The camera uses magnetic parts including magnets. Do not bring objects affected by magnetism, including credit cards and floppy disks, close to the camera.
- The recorded image may be different from the image you monitored before recording.
- For lens-integrated cameras
Always attach the lens cap when you are not using the camera. (Only for models supplied with a lens cap)
- For interchangeable-lens cameras
Always attach the lens front cap or body cap when you are not using the camera. To prevent dust or debris from getting inside the camera, remove dust from the body cap before attaching it to the camera.
- If the camera is dirty after use, clean it. Water, sand, dust, salt, etc. left in the camera may cause a malfunction.
Notes on using lenses
- When using the power zoom lens, be careful not to get your fingers or any other objects caught in the lens. (Only for models with a power zoom feature or interchangeable lens cameras)
- If you must place the camera under a light source such as sunlight, attach the lens cap to the camera. (Only for models supplied with a lens cap or interchangeable lens cameras)
- If sunlight or a strong light source enters the camera through the lens, it may focus inside the camera and cause smoke or fire. Attach the lens cap to the lens when storing the camera. When you shoot with backlighting, keep the sun sufficiently far away from the angle of view. Note that smoke or fire may occur even if the light source is slightly away from the angle of view.
- Do not directly expose the lens to beams such as laser beams. That may damage the image sensor and cause the camera to malfunction.
- If the subject is too close, the image may show any dust or fingerprints on the lens. Wipe the lens with a soft cloth, etc.
Notes on the flash (Only for models with a flash)
- Keep your fingers away from the flash. The light-emitting part may get hot.
- Remove any dirt from the surface of the flash. Dirt on the surface of the flash may emit smoke or burn due to heat generated by the emission of light. If there is dirt/dust, clean it off with a soft cloth.
- Restore the flash to its original position after using it. Make sure that the flash portion is not sticking up. (Only for models with a movable flash)
Notes on the Multi Interface Shoe (Only for models with a Multi Interface Shoe)
- When attaching or detaching accessories such as an external flash to the Multi Interface Shoe, first turn the power to OFF. When attaching the accessory, confirm that it is firmly fastened to the camera.
- Do not use the Multi Interface Shoe with a commercially available flash that applies voltages of 250 V or more or has the opposite polarity of the camera. It may cause a malfunction.
Notes on the viewfinder and flash (Only for models with a viewfinder or a flash)
- Take care that your finger is not in the way when pushing the viewfinder or flash down. (Only for models with a movable viewfinder or a movable flash)
- If water, dust or sand adheres to the viewfinder or flash unit, it may cause a malfunction. (Only for models with a movable viewfinder or a movable flash)
Notes on the viewfinder (Only for models with a viewfinder)
- When shooting with the viewfinder, you may experience symptoms such as eyestrain, fatigue, travel sickness, or nausea. We recommend that you take a break at regular intervals when you are shooting with the viewfinder.
In case you may feel uncomfortable, refrain from using the viewfinder until your condition recovers, and consult your doctor if necessary.
- Do not forcibly push down the viewfinder when the eyepiece is pulled out. It may cause a malfunction. (Only for models with a movable viewfinder and an eyepiece that can be pulled out)
- If you pan the camera while looking into the viewfinder or move your eyes around, the image in the viewfinder may be distorted or the color of the image may change. This is a characteristic of the lens or display device and is not a malfunction. When you shoot an image, we recommend that you look at the center area of the viewfinder.
- The image may be slightly distorted near the corners of the viewfinder. This is not a malfunction. When you want to see the full composition with all its details, you can also use the monitor.
- If you use the camera in a cold location, the image may have a trailing appearance. This is not a malfunction.
Notes on the monitor
- Do not press against the monitor. The monitor may be discolored and that may cause a malfunction.
- If the monitor has drops of water or other liquids on it, wipe it with a soft cloth. If the monitor stays wet, the surface of the monitor may change or deteriorate. This may cause a malfunction.
- If you use the camera in a cold location, the image may have a trailing appearance. This is not a malfunction.
- When you connect cables to the terminals on the camera, the rotating range of the monitor may become limited.
Notes on the image sensor
If you point the camera at an extremely strong light source while shooting images with a low ISO sensitivity, highlighted areas in the images may be recorded as black areas.
On image data compatibility
This product conforms with DCF (Design rule for Camera File system) universal standard established by JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association).
Services and software provided by other companies
Network services, content, and the [operating system and] software of this Product may be subject to individual terms and conditions and changed, interrupted or discontinued at any time and may require fees, registration and credit card information.
Notes on connecting to the internet
To connect the camera to a network, connect it through a router or a LAN port with the same function. Failure to connect in this manner may result in security issues.
Notes on security
- SONY WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM FAILURE TO IMPLEMENT PROPER SECURITY MEASURES ON TRANSMISSION DEVICES, UNAVOIDABLE DATA LEAKS CAUSED BY TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATIONS, OR OTHER SECURITY PROBLEMS.
- Depending on the usage environment, unauthorized third parties on the network may be able to access the product. When connecting the camera to a network, be sure to confirm that the network is protected securely.
- The content of communications may be unknowingly intercepted by unauthorized third parties in the vicinity of the signals. When using wireless LAN communication, implement proper security measures to protect the content of communications.
Notes on the FTP function
Since content, usernames, and passwords are not encrypted using normal FTP, use FTPS if it is available.
- It is recommended that you use genuine Sony accessories.
- Some Sony accessories are only available in certain countries and regions.